Recipe by JGD’s
Wine Pairing: Medlock Ames Lower Slope 2018 Chardonnay
I just had to create mystical Strawberry Pop Tarts since they were used and described so cleverly in our “Garden Spells” novel this month. I added my own magical surprise to them by using sliced organic strawberries within the fruit preserves. This added a subtle yet deliciously unexpected fruit-filled pop to each bite!
- 1 box (contains 2 rolled crusts) store bought refrigerated Pie Crust, makes 4 pop tarts/crust (or can also use homemade pie crust)
- ½ cup Strawberry Preserves
- ¼ cup sliced Organic Strawberries, sliced thin
- 1/8 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- ¾ cup Powdered Sugar
- ¼ tsp Vanilla
- 3-4 Tbsp Heavy Cream (or as needed)
- 1 Egg beaten
- Sprinkles for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Flour a surface and roll out one pre-made pie crust to a rectangular shape.
- Using a ruler, measure out a 10 x 10 square, and cut it out of the dough with a knife.
- Then divide the 10 x 10 square into four equal pieces, or four 5 x 5 squares.
- Place each 5×5 square on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add the preserves, strawberries, vinegar, and cornstarch. Mix well. Heat until slight boiling for 15 seconds, then remove from heat. Stir well. Let cool completely.
- Brush the four 5×5 squares of pastry dough along each of their four edges with the beaten egg. Once preserves are cooled, add 1- 1 ½ Tbsp fruit filling to one half of the pastry square, then fold over non-fruit filling side over top filling side to make a pop tart shaped rectangle. Use the back of a fork to press tines into dough to seal all four sides of each pop tart. Brush tops with beaten egg lightly.
- Place in oven and bake until golden, approx. 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- In a bowl, mix powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream together with a wire whisk until smooth and creamy. Add a drop or two of water if needed to get to a good icing consistency. Spread on top of COOLED pop tarts and decorate with sprinkles.