Recipe by JGD’s
Paired with Medlock Ames Sauvignon Blanc wine
Autumn farm picked apples are baked with love with rich butter and savory nuts, for a warm side dish or dessert for this fall season. The touch of fresh made lavender syrup sweetens the apples up a notch, and enhances it with lovely floral notes to go along with the tartness of the apples. Sauvignon Blanc is a nice pairing for a light and refreshing wine, that awakens the apples fresh fruity flavors.
- 4 Organic Red Apples (like Gala)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Walnuts, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt
- pinch or two of Allspice
- 4 Tbsp Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut a small portion of the tops (by stem) of each apple to access core. Scoop out core in center of each apple while leaving the apple whole, intact, and with skins on. You can carefully use a spoon, paring knife, or apple-coring tool to do this.
- Drizzle cut cores with a small amount of lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Place apples sitting upright in an 8×8 baking dish filled with a small amount of water in the bottom (approx. ½ cup water).
- Make nut filling by mixing together in a bowl walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and allspice. Then mix in 2 Tbsp melted butter and mix together well.
- Divide nut mixture evenly amongst all 4 apples, placing it in the cut center and mounding on top.
- Drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp melted butter on top of the apples, then cover with foil.
- Bake 25 mins in oven covered, then remove foil and continue to cook another 15 mins approximately, or until lightly golden. Don’t over cook! You want them to hold their shape and have a slight firmness to them still.
- ½ cup Water
- ½ Sugar
- 1 tsp Edible Organic Lavender
- Heat in a small sauce pan on medium heat the water, sugar and edible organic lavender flowers. Stir well and cook until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and heat on low for 5 mins, then remove pan from heat and allow to sit and steep for 30 minutes.
- After steeping, strain out lavender flowers with fine mesh sieve and drizzle warm lavender syrup over baked apples and serve.
- Store any remaining lavender syrup in refrigerator for up to one week.